Pages

Purpose

I am a lesbian going into Mechanical Engineering. This blog is meant to do two things: a.) relieve the stress on myself from being closeted, and b.) to let people know that there are members of the LGBT community in engineering fields.

If you want to contact me, you can send an email to lgbt.engineer@gmail.com

Monday, February 11, 2013

Valentine's Day

      It's Valentine's Day this Thursday, as I am sure you all know.  I've always had a negative view on the concept of Valentine's Day, it could be because I've been single a majority of my life.  Why does there have to be a specific day for couples to show their love?  I know one girl who was complaining that it was her first Christmas season being single in six years, welcome to the club.  Couples can do couple-y things all year round.
      I've always wanted a relationship where we can tell each other how we feel anytime of the year.  It's the little things that count.  Maybe it's just splurging and going out and getting a meal or dessert that is more expensive, or leaving little notes, or taking a small weekend trip to someplace new.
      Also I don't understand why flowers are such a big deal.  Alright I understand that they are out of season so they mean something a little but more.  I grew up in a household where we had flowers in the house all year round, or at least potted plants like Christmas cactus that bloom in the winter, or orchids which bloom a really long time.  Wow I am extremely cynical, sorry guys.
      I wish a show like Lip Service was on the air again.  The media tends to portray Valentine's Day as a day for heterosexual couples.  Speaking of which I saw a most infuriating Facebook group that was titled:  "Heterosexual Awareness Month."  I've glanced at some of their photos and they act like heterosexuals are as discriminated against as the LGBT community.  Yeah, like they can lose housing or jobs for their sexual orientation.  They also enforce the classic stereotypes that women should make the husband lunch and do all the housework, while the husband will make the money and kill the spiders and even get the mail.  Seriously?!?!?  I can kill my own spiders and even leave the house on my own free will.
      Sorry for the long post, take some breaks, enjoy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment