Pages

Purpose

I am a lesbian going into Mechanical Engineering. This blog is meant to do two things: a.) relieve the stress on myself from being closeted, and b.) to let people know that there are members of the LGBT community in engineering fields.

If you want to contact me, you can send an email to lgbt.engineer@gmail.com

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Observations

        The other day I was eating lunch with two of my engineering friends, both straight and female.  They brought up the interesting point on how all the guys they like in the engineering department have been with their girlfriends for years.  They then compared this to themselves, who were both dating guys for eight months to a year, and then their boyfriends broke up with them.  So why is it that male engineers have the ability to date someone for years, and female engineers can't?
       I realize that the length of a relationship does depend on various factors.  One thing that I've noticed is that most engineers who are already in a relationship go to a different school than their partner.  I know distance can have a strain on relationships.  It could be that the two people were just never meant to be together.  However, I've always wondered if some guys think that women in engineering are intimidating.  I know that we take difficult classes, which force us to study from Sunday through Thursday on a good week.  Or is it that women are the minority and that men are afraid that they might cheat?  Any thoughts you guys have on the topic are welcome.  I understand that I am somewhat of an outsider on this, being gay and all.  Welp, have an awesome weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment