Pages

Purpose

I am a lesbian going into Mechanical Engineering. This blog is meant to do two things: a.) relieve the stress on myself from being closeted, and b.) to let people know that there are members of the LGBT community in engineering fields.

If you want to contact me, you can send an email to lgbt.engineer@gmail.com

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Influential Essay

     Last year I was wondering if there had been any studies done on the LGBT community in engineering.  After some searching I found an thesis paper titled "Navigating the Heteronormativity of Engineering: The Experiences of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Students"  By Erin A. Cech.  It's a lengthy read, but very insightful on how a number of LGBT people tend to stay closeted in engineering through a majority of their college lives.  I thank you Erin, you helped me realize that I can help people understand that LGBT are in every field.
     Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving weekend.  Finals are around the corner, wish me luck!
Here's the link to the paper:  http://crgp.ucsd.edu/documents/CechandWaidzunasNavigatingHeteronormativityofEngring.pdf

And good luck to those who are also heading towards finals week!

No comments:

Post a Comment